Saturday, July 9, 2011

This Little Light of Mine


This week I have been talking with my class about our inner love lights. I created a love light symbol, something concrete for a child to express who they are - being filled with love and light. Children have so much to give and adults frequently forget this, I however get to see it on a daily basis.

I used a round yellow circle attached to a red string (making a necklace) that the child can place around their neck. We then listened to the song "This Little Light of Mine".

We talked about how our love light will grow when we are nice to friends and teachers, nice to our parents and families and when we give of ourselves in service. We also talked about ways our love light will dim; the children came up with all sorts of ideas, my favorites were:
"My love light will dim if I put on a frown."
"My love light will dim if I call my friend a name."
"My love light will go out if I hit my friends."
"My love light will be black if I don't listen to my mom."
"My love light will turn black if I let it, I want it to shine like the sun."

I love that I can teach children from a very early age the importance of love lights and that everyone has a love light. It's up to us (adults and children) to make our love lights shine and to not put anyone one else's love light out!






No comments:

Post a Comment